Friday, January 10, 2020

Bones 4 Miniatures: Red!


I was hoping to get these guys done before the end of November, but The Holidays happened, and I found myself busier (and less inspired to paint demons & devils) than I expected. 

During the Renaissance period, nobility would wear red clothing dyed with carmine, a deep red pigment derived from kermes and cochineal bugs; red is a liturgical color for Christianity, and the color worn by Roman Catholic Cardinals.  Red is also the color of anger, sin, and the devil.  Here, I draw from both noble/divine and base/diabolical associations. 


For these knights in shining armor, I wanted a deep red color which commanded a sense of authority and noble purpose.  Of course I was reminded of the Crusaders, and the deep red stripes on the American flag.


These goat-headed demons are referred to as "Minitaurs".


These larger devils are from the "Bedeviled" series: including a "Ravager," a "Flayer," and a "Tormentor."

I don't like fighting devils and demons in D&D; as monsters from another dimension, they often have immunities and special qualities that make them frustrating challenges.  In contrast, when you fight a vampire or a dragon; yes, they are formidable opponents, but you usually know where their weak spots are.  And then there were the 1980s anti-D&D witch-hunts, because if kids play a game wherein they slay an evil demon, of course they must be worshipping the devil.  Paradoxically, devils and demons aren't even interesting or fun; unlike imaginative owlbears or gelatinous cubes.  My dislike of devils and demons contributed to my delays in finishing the paint job. 

Reaper Miniatures once posted an image featuring some of their new demon miniatures, with a knight included for scale.  Reaper added captions, with the big demons remarking along the lines: 'hey, lunch must be early today,' whereas the fearless little knight observes: '4 demons against 1 knight?  I LIKE THOSE ODDS!'  That knight's attitude often inspires me, and I hope you will bear those sentiments in mind even if you fear the knights in these photos are mathematically outnumbered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment