Friday, January 31, 2020

Bones 4 Miniatures: Orange!


I'm back on the color wheel, and the color for this batch is orange.  These miniatures are all rewards for backing the Reaper Bones 4 Kickstarter.  That's right, I'm trying to use up my existing stock, rather than mail-ordering more unpainted miniatures.


On the left, we have an enormous pig with ginger bristles; I was inspired by Tamworth Pigs.  I tried to simulate the appearance of a ginger pig's bristles with multiple layers of selective dry brushing.

This orangey pig is pulling a cart full of pumpkins and other orange, red, and yellow fruits and vegetables.  I didn't put a base on the cart, because the cart is an inanimate object and it can't attack or dodge; the base is partly intended to indicate the space a character can move around in.

As if that pig wasn't scary enough, that cart is also defended by a bard and her dog.  Bards use arcane magic; it is only fitting that this vibrant performer is wearing the most fiery colors.  I decided to give her olive skin and dark hair to honor the rich and beloved heritage of Mexican mariachi performers, and their marvelous costumes.

I wish Reaper made more bard miniatures.  I've only seen 4 Reaper bard miniatures; 2 were females with stringed instruments, one is a Scottish-themed gnome or halfling with bagpipes, and one is the Pathfinder iconic bard.  Let me tell you that bards are fun to paint.  Drummers were introduced onto the battlefield by the Ottoman Empire, but fifers were brought in with Early Modern warfare; still, with portable instruments, they'd make for cool bards.   I'd like to see an evil spooky goth bard, and bards playing various other instruments.  How about a necromancer bard playing a (modified) skeleton like a xylophone?  Imagine a badass blues harmonica bard, or a cajun banjo bard, or even a space alien theremin bard; even though these instruments are much more modern than the Medieval period.

My wife used to have a wonderful blue heeler dog, and I wish to honor this beloved animal companion by trying to give the bard's dog a red heeler's orangey coloring.  Also known as Australian Cattle Dogs, red and blue heelers are sturdy and muscular, energetic, intelligent, and responsive with an independent streak, protective and easy to groom; which all sound like good qualities to have in an adventuring dog.  Maybe in Australia, they would call it an adventuring 'doggo.'  The model here is clearly some kind of heeler mix, because full heeler ears stand up straight, and this model's ears flap down.


Those heroes have their work cut out for them in the form of these 6 orange-clad goblins.  I've got dozens of these goblins, so I'm painting them in color-coordinated tribes for obvious battlemap and inventory reasons.  Also, they mesh with my color wheel scheduling system.


As if those goblins weren't bad enough, at the far right we have a large Crabman and his dire crab pal, ready to put the pinch on our adventurers and their vegetable cargo.  I don't have an airbrush, so I tried to achieve natural gradations of color through successive washes, selectively applied.  Some people are really good at this--much better than I am.  As with anything which requires practice, my technique is a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment