Tuesday, October 2, 2018

#Drawtober2018 02-The Frog Witch

I saw the "Frog Witch" prompt for today and asked: how can I turn this on its head?  Everyone knows the story of the "Frog Prince" wherein a prince is turned into a frog by a witch, and only a kiss from a princess can restore him; what if the witch were turned into a frog, and she needed a prince's kiss to restore her?
It turns out there is already a Russian fairy tale known as "The Frog Sorceress" (or "The Frog Princess") wherein the king's youngest son is forced to marry a talking frog who is secretly a sorcerous princess.  There are many versions of this story, but in the version I read, the princess can transform from frog to human sometimes (at night?  My copy of the story isn't clear on the details), and there is a grand ball wherein the princess reveals her human form to her prince and his family.
In the version of the story I read, her dress is blue with stars, but I decided to modify the stars to star-like water lilies in order to reflect her frog nature. 
I've only told you a little bit of the story, but the whole story is still short and I recommend it because it is better then "The Frog Prince" in several ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment