Thursday, September 4, 2014

Drawstring Bags

I don't just draw and write; I also like to sew on occasion.  I made these dice bags for family members I would meet at GenCon.

The first dice bag is navy poly fabric with a satiny finish and holographic glitter apparently glued onto the fabric; I was going for a "night sky" theme.  The interior is satin taffeta, in kind of an ocean blue.  The cord is 550 paracord, with a turk's head knot, in a gray "urban camo" pattern which is evocative of clouds or perhaps the moon.  The bag has a square bottom, so it should be able to stand upright and allow for easier retrieval of dice.  This is for a gentleman with a history of seamanship; I wanted something which conveys respect, but not stodginess.


The next dice bag is a violet poly satin fabric with pink glitter apparently glued onto the fabric; the interior is pink satin taffeta.  The cord is also 550 paracord with a turk's head knot, in a pink and magenta "candy snake" pattern.  This is for a lady who loves to fish and who loves the color violet; I was also inspired by a 7-lb. Skipjack Tuna I caught, which looked kind of violet when I was holding it.  The bag does not have a square bottom, but I truncated the interior such that small objects won't fall into the corners of the tail.


This last dice bag is an iridescent green poly satin fabric; the interior is pink satin taffeta.  This bag has a square bottom, like the "night sky" bag above.  This is for a lady who associates with a frog motif, so I tried to make it look like a frog, with flipper feet, bulging googly eyes, and a long tongue.  The cord is also 550 paracord with a turk's head knot, in a bright yellow and green "gecko" pattern.


As the photos indicate, these bags can all accommodate the small essentials of gaming, including dice, a standard-size deck of cards, a 12-ounce can of Mountain Dew, and even a full-size pencil (though it sticks out a bit).

Dice by Chessex.  General's Semi-Hex Pencil by General Pencil Company.  Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Master's Guide by TSR.

No comments:

Post a Comment