Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Buffalo has no gaming shop

I grew up in Buffalo, New York.

I recently spent a week in Buffalo, and I decided to check out the local gaming shop and see what was available from Paizo and maybe pick up some more dice (you can never have enough dice!).

According to Google, Buffalo has no gaming shops.  There are Meetup groups and so forth, but without any shops, it all seems rather underground.

I heard about former Soviet republics where people had Dungeons & Dragons translated into their language, but nobody had any polyhedral dice.  When I discovered that Buffalo had no gaming shops, I felt a similar sense of pity.

Granted, with modern web-based storefronts (and even PDF distribution), I realize that almost no hobby requires a local brick-and-mortar storefront. 

I got my first polyhedral dice at Clayton's Toys on Elmwood Avenue in Buffalo (before the fire forced them to move closer to downtown).  I still have those sharp-edged dice cast in vibrant fluorescent translucent acrylic (I wish I could get more of those fluorescent acrylic polyhedrals!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment