Thursday, July 18, 2019

I painted some Bones 3 miniatures

Although I did recently get my shipment of Bones 4 miniatures, these are from the Bones 3 Kickstarter, which I pledged for back in 2015. 

I kind of accidentally painted a lot of guys red last time, so I decided to just do batches with predominant colors.  This time it's orange's turn; maybe yellow in the next batch.  I figure I can gradually cycle through the color wheel and beyond.

Orange can be a noisy, jarring color, but it can also be the color of some marvelous beers.  I couldn't resist drafting (sorry) this orange-garbed dwarven brewmaster civilian into an orange-themed adventuring party.  Or maybe he's hauling a keg of healing potion.

Orange is a great color for fire, and what wizard doesn't know about throwing fire at enemies.  So why not dress this wizard in a stately fire-inspired orange robe, with a glowing orange gem on his staff.
Once you get to front-line fighters, you want to dress to distract, and this orange-garbed sorceror seems to be enchanting a blade with an arc of magical flames.

Up next is a dashing halfling rogue, charismatically dressed in more orange.

And leading the pack is a woman wielding dual swords, grabbing our attention with more orange.
Not too much orange on the monsters, certainly not on the giant ticks pestering our adventurers.  I've never met a giant tick, but I can tell you that I already hate it more than almost any other monster.

Once we get past the ticks, we have some serious monsters.  The whitish column is an air elemental.  The photo doesn't do it justice, but it's actually translucent.  I used dullcote for a primer, and laid down some washes to hopefully simulate smoke and dust picked up by this creature of solid air as it moves around; I was inspired by images of LA smog.  According to the monster books, air elementals are actually invisible, but that makes for a boring paint job.  This air elemental seems to have a head in its shape, so I decided to paint on some glowing eyes.  Artistic license; and hopefully it makes this air elemental more memorable as a monster than a mere description of an invisible pain cloud.

Continuing with the theme of air, we have a blue dragon.  Blue dragons hang out in high places and breathe lightning at their victims.  Notice that this dragon is perched on a broken statue; I imagine a temple high on a mountain, and then this blue dragon decided to show the humans how feeble their gods are by destroying the temple and scaring off the human attendants, before moving in.

Last but certainly not least we have a beautiful lady sphinx.  This sphinx has nice clothing and jewelry; I imagine that this sphinx may be less of a "monster" and more of a "large esteemed citizen."  I gave her tan skin to make her look somewhat Egyptian (as Egypt is known for its sphinxes), and dressed her in royal purple.  I was also inspired by the friendly sphinx in the webcomic Subnormality.

No comments:

Post a Comment