Saturday, May 18, 2019

I painted some Bones 4 Minis

I finally got my Reaper Miniatures Bones 4 Kickstarter pledge rewards, and I could hardly wait to start painting them.  The Kickstarter ended at the beginning of September 2017, and my rewards arrived in mid-April 2019, so I'd been waiting over 19 months for these--pretty much according to schedule, but still a delight when it happens.  Others have referred to these events as "Reapermas."

I was a little surprised to discover that the Bones 4 Miniatures are made of "Bones Black," a more rigid (and brittle) plastic material than the rubbery vinyl-like material of previous Bones Kickstarters, but I am not disappointed; in almost every regard it has proven to be a superior material for miniatures.  These Bones Black miniatures were easily realigned with my Wagner Heat Tool, the plastic accepted Games Workshop's Skull White (primer) spray, and cyanoacrylate glue sticks them together well.

My previous batch was adventurer-heavy, so this batch of miniatures is almost all monsters.

 
From left to right, we have 3 "Hell Hounds," a parrot/lizard/mantis monster ("Gloom Stalker"), a tentacled lobster monster ("Tidal Lurker"), an Owlbear, a Flail Snail, 3 giant bats, and 2 catfolk warriors.

I saw the cracks and rifts in the Hell Hounds, and I was reminded of the cracks in stone.  I imagined that these Hell Hounds might be full of molten lava, so I painted them to look like basalt and lava rocks I've seen in Duluth and Hawaii (respectively); with the cracks painted fluorescent orange, revealing the glowing lava inside.

Because I already immortalized my black Maine Coon cats as sabertooth tigers, I painted the catfolk to represent my Bengal kitten.

No comments:

Post a Comment